Sunday, July 24, 2005

I'm very sore, but at least I got a lot done.

Wow, what a busy day we had yesterday. Nyron hoarded the HMV promo fliers from the Toronto Star so that we each had a "Buy one regular priced DVD get one free" coupon. Off to spurge on expensive DVDs! It's funny how willing one becomes to drop $50 on on DVD when they know that they're getting another expensive one for free. We tried to make it worth it by not getting either of the DVDs at under $30. The salesguy mentioned that people were lined up outside the door at opening and they took all the Criterion boxsets they could. We still managed to do farily well, though. Nyron got a season of Batman:The animated series and the Criterion edition of Kurasawa's Stray Dogs. I got the special edition of The City of Lost Children by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Fushigi Yugi Eikoden which is 4 epilogue-ish episodes to the Fushigi Yugi series. Someday, when I have $300 to spare, I'll buy the series box set.

Afterwards we went to the Books and Coffe bookcrossing meeting. The "official" bookcrossing meeting day is the second Tuesday of every month. I've become the moderater for the Tuesday meetings, but I wanted to attend one of the Saturday ones (moderated by another bookcrossing in the group) to get a feel of how this particular group operates and see if Steve has any advice/suggestions for organizing my own meeting. There were 5 people including Nyron and I. We left behind the books we'd brought and pciked a few for us to read. Then Nyron friend Christa arrived and we left with her so I took a few more to bring to the Tuesday group. That's one of the great things about belonging to more than one group: it's a great way to circulate the books that don't get picked up after a meeting.

With a backpack crammed full of books, Nyron and I played tour guide to his friends Christa and her husband Julian. I love playing tour guide, I often do so for out of town friends whoe come to visit. It was a rather short tour, however, and limited to the waling route between the Future Bakery where the bookcrossing meeting was to Nyron's work. We made sure to go through campus, though, to show off how beautiful it is.

With Nyron safely at his managerial post I went to do some errands. Unfortunately, I chekced my balance and realized how broke I am, so that severely limited what I could get done. I managed to take my cell phone in to get fixed (it heats up when I talk on it or leave it to charge) and mail a book off to a bookcrosser in Texas who requested it from my Availables page before meeting up with Nyron again for dinner. We had some pretty good sushi at this restraunt by his work. I can't remember what it was called. It was good, except the vegetable tempura was a little too crispy.

When we were at HMV earlier we ran into my friend Anna Kay who works there. She told me that her shift ended at 7 and that we should meet up and hang out. she's currently house-sitting for a friend who has one of those really cool "country cottage" style decorating schemes. I just love it there! There are always so many cool things in that space. For example, her kitchen table is the stand for an old Singer pedal sewing machine! To get there, however, we had to walk since Anna Kay didn't have money for the subway (she'd just had to pay her right arm to get her bike fixed). On the way we bought a bottle of Wild Vines Strawberry White Zinfendel to enjoy. It was a nice relaxing evening, just us girls, although the walk there almost killed me. : ) Darlong Anna Kay did everything she could to help, including taking most of the books into the bike basket and carrying the backpack on the bike handle, but on top of all the walking I'd already done that day the damage was already done. My feet still hurt, but that's life.

Today, I'm not going anywhere! I'm going to sit on the couch and watch DVDs all day!

o( )__

1 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a great day - I have been working on school for so long, I think I've forgotten how to live an 'open' day without schedules. Your slow walk with Anna K sounds like how summer ought to be lived.

And cheap DVDs are frickin great.

Do you and Nyron want to come with me and Susan to see Me, You and Everyone We Know? It looks amazing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home