Friday, August 19, 2005

All rain and no chores makes Brooke a lazy beaver

One of the things I love about Toronto are the frequent summer thunder storms we get. I've always loved the energy and noise of a storm, especially when I'm warm and cozy indoors. The sound of the rain is so soothing to me that for as long as I can remember my dad would leave my bedroom window open on rainy nights to help me sleep.

Today we are having one of those stormy days, only it's proving a bit of a nuisance. The cats are terrified and won't come out from behind the armchair in the corner of the livingroom. In fact, this morning Nyron and I had a tiny panic when we couldn't find Hyde at all! Turns out he'd actually hidden underneath the armchair! I was hoping to be able to work on socializing them some more today, especially Hyde who still won't let us pick him up, but it seems that it's a no go. Hyde won't let me near him and even Sebastian hissed when I tried to pet him earlier. It's become clear to us that these cats are not at all used to being picked up or handled. I often wonder if they've had any direct interaction with humans at all before I got them. (For a complete recount of our attempts to socialize these psycho-kittens, read my other blog.)

The other thing that makes this rain a nuisance instead of soothing is that I'd planned to get some laundry done today. Normally the rain wouldn't affect that, but since there's no door to the basement and we need to keep the cats on the main floor because they keep getting into the walls, we've had to barracade the doorway to the basement. Which means that in order to do tha laundry I actually have to go outside and re-enter the house via the backdoor which leads down to the laundry room. I put a load in a few minutes ago, just before another huge downpour started. Ask me how thrilled I am about the prospect of getting soaked just to change over the wash. Go ahead, ask me.

Oh well. This is a fine excuse to not get anything at all done today. It's always good to look on the bright side of a situation. : )

o( )__

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home