Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Unintensional Assistant Director

That's me. I'm the Unintensional Assistant Director.

With the copious free time that a life as an unemployed lay-about affords me, I decided to apply to do continuity/art department on a few local short films. I sent out about half a dozen resumes to various prouductions and it wasn't long before I started getting calls. I took the first one that came along (not knowing that within 2 days I'd be contacted by three more productions!). The director asked me if I'd be AD and since I'd only put continuity and art department on my resume, my mind equated AD to Art Director. Sure, fine; it's a bit of a responsibility jump, but I can handle it.

This afternoon was the first rehersal. When I arrived the director sat down with me and started handing me release forms and all kinds of other stuff that I've never really had to deal with before. And that's when it clicked in: AD = Assistant Director. Oh my.

But not to worry. The super bull shit powers that my BA in English has granted me helped keep the slight look of panic out of my eyes as I scanned for anything in the sheets and forms that looked familier. But as the afternoon wore on, things started to settle down. I mean, she has my resume, she knows I have no experience in this, so she doesn't look surprised or put off when I don't seem to know what I'm doing. And by the end of the rehersal, I was discussing shots with the DOP and giving the actors direction.

This will be good experience for me. I'm being forced to work outside of my frame of knowledge and still keep afloat. Plus, as AD, I get to make sure that all the things I need done for continuity and set design are done the way I want them. Mmmm, control.

o( )__

2 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Divinity said...

That's Unintensional with an "s" because of the intenSity of the job, right? :o) What great wordplay!

 
At 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kid! Glad to see you're keeping busy... despite the madness, I'm missing production already. This is coming to straight from Kobe, Japan, by the way. Hope I get to see you sometime soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home