Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I am officially gradumacated!

Last night was the convocation. As to be expected, it was a lot of innitial running around and being confused just to sit still for an hour and a half and spend 5 seconds on stage. Nyron bought be a bouquet of flowers on behalf of my family who couldn't be there. The the ceremony was really just the precurser to the celebration meal.

As a graduation gift, my mother offered to pay for Nyron and I to eat out anywhere we wanted. Anywhere. So, of course, I asked Nyron to pick as ritzy and expensive a restraunt as he could find. : ) We ended up at Susur, a wonderful restraunt on King E that blends Asian and Western dishes. Nyron had mentioned when he made the reservation that it was to celebrate my convocation, so the first thing the maitre de said when he welcomed us was "congratulations". That was very thoughtful.

The restraunt does a taster menu, where you choose the number of courses you want (5 or 7) and each person at the table gets something different, but we weren't feeling that adventurous so we opted for the a la carte menu. First we got a complimentary appetizer taster. We each had three different little dishes on different decorative plates (mine was beach pebbles embedded in clear sealer with little circular indents for the tiny dishes to go). For the first course, Nyron and I both ordered this dish containing two kinds of fois gras (one was chocolate) and roast breast of squag (which I think means pigeon). Please, no one tell me what fois gras is made of, because I liked one of them and I'd really rather not know. I think it's one of those French "use every part of the animal" foods.

Afterwards came a pineapple jelly in a soup, which was really refreshing and made a great in-between course to clear the palet. We each had a different main course; mine was coffe and vanilla maranaded ostrach and Nyron's was bison. I think Nyron ordered it just so he could make jokes using the Street Fighter character M. Bison. For dessert we had another taster plate, which included a pineapple torte, peach mouse between filo waffers, pear mouse on a dark chocoalte base, lemon-chilli sorbet on candied orange wedges and lemon pate on a little cookie. The maitre de must have mentioned my convocation in the kitchen, because someone wrote "congratulations" in semi-sweet chocolate on my plate. I also had one of the best glasses of red wine I've ever tasted (I don't usually like red wine, but this I liked).

o( )___

1 Comments:

At 3:19 AM, Blogger Divinity said...

Oh my, sounds yummy. Good thing your "fan" isn't dropping by anymore though, eh? Eek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home