Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Is this the end for our hero?

It seems there may be a snag in my much anticipated move to the glorious West End. The property company wants to see my passport which, not having been informed of this ahead of time, I packed away in an anonymous box in the storage facility that currently contains the bulk of my worldly possessions. We tried to placate them with my birth certificate and a copy of one of my credit cards, but it seems they're still giving us problems. Enough problems that it may interfere with me getting the keys on Thursday.

It's rather sad that I'm only marginally outraged at this. It's gotten to the point where I'm no longer surprised when something goes wrong; I've almost come to expect it now. After all the preperations I've made - setting my check-out time at the Shoebox to Thursday morning, taking Thursday off work, packing up my room and putting it safely in the trunk of Nyron's car - why shouldn't something go wrong? I'll know tomorrow, hopefully, what's going on.

In happier news, I helped a student get appartment insurance today so he can move into a new place. It's very difficult to comminicate in another language over the telephone and his English level is pretty basic so I made a series of calls on his behalf so that he could pay for an insurance policy and get it faxed to his property company. The whole thing took almost an hour and at the end of it he left, assuring me he'd return so to get his copy of the policy which I'd requested to be faxed to the school. I thought he was going to get a coffee, but when he came back (moments after the MSN conversation with my mom informing me of the travesty mentioned above) he handed me something square in a Shoppers Drugmart bag. It was a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates! I couldn't believe it! This kind of thing is just part of my job; I've made phone calls on students' behalfs before, it was no biggie. It was just so sweet and at a moment when I was feeling a bit pissed off and upset that I felt a little teary and went out from behind the dest to give him a hug. What a sweety.

o( )__

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home