Saturday, November 12, 2005

Life in the Shoebox continues

Just 18 more days in what will hopefully be my last time spent living in residence ever. Things are pretty much all set for me to move into my new townhouse - the utilities are switched over in my name, I've transfered my Rogers account and made an appointment for a hook up on the 3rd and most of my bills are updated to my new address. Now all I have to do is wait.

Well, wait and graduate. My convocation is this Monday. Somehow, I'm not as excited about it as I thought I'd be. It's being rather anti-climactic, really. For one thing, my parents can't come see it. That's kind of the whole point of convocation, isn't it? For your parents who raised you and sent you to school and supported you to see all their (and your) hard work pay off? But they've very recently been inundated with business and can't leave the province, so Nyron will come and be my spectator, with an empty seat next to him. I may not even buy a dress. It just seems like a waste of money that I should be saving for the inevitable expenses of moving to a new place. Expecially since I'd have to buy shoes and make-up as well, since everything is in storage.

It seems, as I write this, that I'm more dissapointed than I've been letting on, even to myself. To be honest, the fact that my parents can't come is really no surprise; this kind of thing has been part of our lives for as long as I can remember. No plans are ever certain. Even family vacations have had to be cut short (sometimes, even before we even arrive) because business becons and you can't tell a grieving family, "I'm sorry, we can't hold a funeral for you mother this weekend. We'll be in Disneyworld". Even the fact that I'm the only person in my family to even go to university, let alone graduate, isn't enough to change this inescapable fact. Work comes first, it always has. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to go to university anyway, so it's kind of appropriate, I guess, that it is taking its price in this way.

Anyhoo, when next I write (and who knows when that will be!) I will have Hon.BA after my name. But it just doesn't seem that big a deal.

o( )___

2 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:( Sorry you're not hyped up for your graduation. When mine came around, I was like "It was 6 years of hard work and trying to deal with shit. I dont wanna stand there for 4 hours and listen. I want to go home and relax. Get smashed and bomb out for a year."

But if it goes anything like it was with me, a week or so later, you're gonna be like, "W00T ALL DONE!!" and proceed to scurry around all happy like.

Grats and best wishes kiddo!

Jon D

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs* and congratulations, hon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home