Monday, December 26, 2005

Certainly a one of a kind Christmas

I went east this past week to spend the holidays with my family in Nova Scotia. Soon after I arrived, my mom told me that their female pomeranian, Belle, was pregnant (courtesy of their male pomeranian, Baux). Using calculations based on the last time my parents saw the two getting busy, my mom figured that the puppies would be born in late January or early February. Belle, of course, was incredibly pampored as is befitting expectant motherhood. We rubbed her belly and could feel the little things moving around inside (almost as cool as when my friend Amy let me feel her stomach when she was pregnant with her son).

On Christmas morning my brother, grandmother and I walked over from my grandmother's house (where my brother lives in the basement and where I stay when I'm in town), next door to my parents' house. They were still in bed when we arrived, so they asked if we would let the dogs out the front door so they could do their business. When we pushed back the gate that keeps them in the kitchen (they're still being trained) Baux went shooting out like a rocket and out the front door. Belle, however, only went as far as the foyer before returning to the kitchen, which was very strange. After doing this a second time, I volunteered to corall her outside. When I went into the kitchen I heard a strange mewing sound and there she was, she was lying on a blanket, curled around three tiny, damp, brown newborn puppies! I'd never seen anything like it. They were tiny, about 4 inches long, their eyes still closed and, although a little nervous at first, Belle took to motherhood right away. She'd already dealt with the placenta and cut their umbilical chords and was cleaning them and letting them feed. By the end of the day, all her nervousness seemed gone and she was in complete control, only acting agitated when one of the male dogs came into the room.

So that is my incredible Christmas story. The puppies are now roughly 6 inches long - they grow so fast! - and momma is still donig well (so I'm told, I've since returned to Toronto). I just wish I could have one of the puppies, but I'm not in a position in my life to take care of dogs, especially poms which are so high-maintanence. I hope everyone had a great Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate (or don't, whatever). I'm off to do some more unpacking; how much stuff do I have, anyway?!

o( )__

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home