Monday, December 12, 2005

There's no place like home

Sorry. I'm sure you've all been waiting anxiously for an account of my new place and I, the negligent blogger, have been, well, neglegent. So here I am now to fill you all in to the sound of a collective exhale.

We moved in on Thursday. It took us two trips but with the help of one of my uncles we managed to get everything in the house before the snow hit. We put everything in the garage (and there a fair bit of it remains) until we can get everything sorted and in its proper place. It doesn't help that my great-greadmother moved into a home while I was in England and I somehow became currator of most of her stuff. Some of it we're managing to incorporate into the decor, but a lot of it will simply remain in the garage until further notice.

On Friday I had one of the worst days at work I've had yet. The woman who works at the front desk with me was supposed to spend that week training me on the things I hadn't learned yet, which were making the diplomas for the leaving students and getting things ready for the incoming students. So none of that got done and everyone had to pretty much drop what they would otherwise have been doing that day to make diplomas and prepare ninders and nametags. By the end of the day I was exhausted and upset, so much so that I started going home without realizing that Nyron and I had tickets to the Sarah Harmer concert at the Harbourfront Centre that night. Luckily, Nyron called while I was still on the streetcar to ask what time it started and I was able to get off and go back to Union Station before it was too late. We ended up missing the first song, but those things happen. Once we sat down, though, and she started singing I immediately became more relaxed. She's such a great performer. When we got home there was a graduation gift from my parents waiting for me: a new TV with a DVD player and VCR built in. They even sent a TV stand for it that matches perfectly! They'd wanted it to be a surprise, so they sent it to Nyron's house and he set it up while I was at work.

The rest of the week has been spent alternately unpacking and lazing around on the couch. I'm not used to the house yet and something keeps waking me up 2 or 3 times throughout the night. This leaves me exhausted at work and by the time I get home i'm pretty useless. Still, we've managed to get the place starting to look homey. We've set up the library in the front room and the living room has all my DVDs. The kitchen is set up and there's a culinary school down the street where I can finally learn to cook. We even set up this little plastic Christmas tree we found among my great-grandmother's things. We've already exchanged one gift: we agreed to buy each other iPods. Nyron's already put together a playlist for me to listen to on the way to work. Which is where I have to go now.

o( )__

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home