Monday, January 30, 2006

New year, new look

By now, I think my readership is probably down to my boyfriend and a few close friends who only read this blog because I read their blogs. Even I've started getting bored with it. Let's be honest, my day-to-day life just isn't all that interesting to write about, especially since I refuse to write about work (I rather like my job and don't fancy getting fired). So, I've decided to give this blog a new focus, an underlying theme that can string the posts together and give me an incentive to write. I'm going to focus more on my ongoing attempts to be more conscious of the way my lifestyle and choices affects the world around me.

Environmental awareness is something I've been interested in since I was a child growing up in the 80s and trying to make compost in an icecream container under the sink and nagging my parents to seperate their recyclebles. Now that I'm all grown up and have 100% control over my buying and household habbits I'm trying to be decidedly aware of how everything I do changes the environment around me. I've started using biodegradable cleaning products and wheat-based cat litter. Unfortunately, I don't live in the Annex, so there are no organic grocery stores nearby, but there is a halal butcher so it's a start.

My major eco-achievement today, however, took place at work. In the lounges we provide for the students we offer coffee and tea and filtered water. This cornucopia of beverage options causes thousands of polystyrene cups to be thrown out every month. Luckily, my boss is very environmentally conscious, she simply hasn't had time to do the research necessary to make the office more green, a task I have jumped at the chance to do. So this afternoon, I finally managed to find a local company, called Greenshift, that sells biodegradable hot drink cups. The best part is, they are actually LESS expensive than the polystyrene cups we've been buying, by about $30 a box! Since we go through close to 10 boxes a month, this is no slight savings. Don't you just love it when being good to the world is good to you budget?

0( )__

5 Comments:

At 3:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tree hugger, you almost make me regret having changed over to supreme fuel to lower my car emissions

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh? And why would that be? You yourself admit to changing the type of fuel you buy (to a more expensive type, if I'm correct) to lower car emissions. Why am I a "tree hugger" and you're not?

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Mike said...

It might also be worth pointing out to your boss that they could give you a bit of a bonus this month, voucher for a nice restaurant meal or similar, and still be better off.

If one of my staff saved me $300 a month, I would definately reward them.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be nice, but I have no idea how to go about asking for something like that, especially since we haven't tested the product yet. For all we know, the bottom could fall out as soon as hot water touches it. That's not at all likely, of course, but since we haven't seen otherwise for ourselves yet it remains in the relm of possibility.

Maybe after we've ordered a few boxes and it's succeeded in blowing us away with it's amazing-ness, then I can slip in the idea of a bonus of some kind. But, again, I wouldn't know what to say.

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sry kiddo, my reading list is kinda huge each day. I only get a chance to check here once in a while :P. Still nice keeping up to date with everyone as I can.

Always good to see people opting for green solutions though :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home