Thursday, January 19, 2006

Welcome, worms!

A few weeks ago a lovely couple on Freecycle heeded my request for vermicomposter worms and gave me some. For those of you who don't know, vermicomposting is composting using worms. It's a great way to keep a composter in your kitchen, because it doesn't smell (thanks to the worms and the air holes drilled into the container) and it can be made small enough to fit under your kitchen sink (which is where mine lives). It's also really easy to set up and maintain - this is my first time trying one and the worms have already started breeding! That's a very good sign, because creatures only breed when they feel secure in their environment.

I have to admit I've always liked worms - I don't think twice about rescuing a worm from the sidewalk on a rainy day - and I'm loving that I can use them as little workers in my home. The soil they produce is so rich that it has to be mixed with potting soil for gardening because otherwise it would overload the plants. The excess water produced by the worms can be used as also a highly concentrated fertilizer spray and the worms themselves make excellent fishing worms (Nyron's father loves to fish).

So welcome, worms! I hope you like living under my sink.

0( )__

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home