Monday, May 22, 2006

I need a rest from my long weekend : )

For those of you who aren't yourself Canadians but read my blog, I assume, because you wish you were, you probably don't know about May 2-4. May 2-4 is actually Victoria Day weekend and is the first long weekend of the summer. It's coloquially called May 2-4 because it falls close to May 24th and people often celebrate the long weekend by drinking a 24 case of beer (or two, or three), often at the cottage if you are lucky enough to have one. Unfortunately, most cottage folks weren't too lucky this year, as the weekend has seen mostly rain, heavy winds and even some snow in - you guessed it - cottage country. So it seems a lot of people have decided to use the long weekend and bad weather to get spring housework done. And Nyron and I are no acception.

We've spent most of the weekend painting and now the living room matches the library downstairs. It's an entirely different process painting an oft-used room compared to a room that's mainly used as a way to get from the front door to the stairs. Our lives were disrupted for more than 24 hours as we had to unplug the computer and tv and push all the furniture into the centre of the room. You don't think it's possible to crave a couch until yours is filled with boxes and covered in plastic sheeting.

I also managed to get a bit more gardening done and the patio is looking just that much more green. A woman on freecycle offered up some strawberry plants since her's were taking over her garden. I was quick to reply and was gifted with 7 individual plants, which gave me the perfect excuse to buy some beautiful deep blue strawberry pots. It took some doing to get all the plants in and still keep the earth from falling out of the various holes, but they look great. The plan is to put them on a multi-teired stand of some kind so that they don't strangle the other plants (Strawberries: sweet but ruthless).

Here's my garden so far:


Pretty sparse, I know, but I'm working on it. The strawberries are in their lovely pots, the green pot is peppermint (I'll be moving it to a proper pot once I find one suitable), and the wooden box contains oregano and parsely.

Happy May 2-4 everyone!

0( )__

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home