Saturday, May 27, 2006

Somebody stop the madness!

I've begun reading Metro on the way to work in the mornings, largely because I'm not enjoying the novel I'm currently reading but I hate to give up on a book halfway through. After the 20 minute bus ride to the nearest subway station, I've usually had enough and grab a Metro from the news stand inside the station. I was hugely dismayed yesterday to read a tiny blurb in the international section that the US House of Representatives (that's the branch just below the Senate, right?) have voted successfully to put a bill before the Senate that will allow oil drilling in the Alaskan wildlife reserve! They've been trying this since 2005 and they don't seem to ever want to stop. So far, each time it's come before the Senate they've done right by voting it out.

What worries me, though, is that in some ways it doesn't matter how many times it gets voted out. It only needs to be passed once for the bulldozers to head north. The article said that they expect greater support this time around because Americans are so upset about the price of gas ($3 in some places, apparently). However, with typical lack of foresight, no one seems to clue into the fact that the amount of oil they'll get will only last a few years, while the damage caused will last decades and possibly be irreparable.

Please! Any Americans who are reading this, do anything you can to let your government know that you are against killing animals and destroying unique natural habitat just so that you don't have to bus it to work. You have a huge amount of power to influence the decisions your government makes; remember, they work for you, not the other way around. Make this an issue worth getting involved for and please, get involved!

After reading such depressing - if brief - news, I need to blog about some success in life. So I thought I'd photograph an update on my table-top greenhouses.

Here's the whole lot, with tops up so you can see all the budding green life:



OK, so you can't really see all the budding green life. That's why I've taken some close-ups of the little darlings.


*sniff* They're getting so big! Now that I look at them, I'm starting to think that these are the snow peas and that the peppers haven't started sprouting yet. I really should have labeled things. : )

Oh well. It'll be ad adventure as things grow to see what everything turns into.

There won't be a lot of guessing about this one, though. Two of these cups are chives, two are green onions, and two are chamomile. True, I can't necessarily tell which are which right now, but they'll distinguish themselves soon enough.

I feel like a mom! I'm so proud of how all my little babies are growing!

0( )__

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home