Monday, May 29, 2006

TTC + strike = long weekend (but how long?)

This morning started like any other morning. I grumbled and groaned out of bed at 6am, got dressed, fed Spirit, watered my plants, and put some of last night's leftovers into a tupperware container for lunch. I peeked out the balcony doors in the direction of the bus stop and was relieved to see it still empty. I spent a few minutes picking a new book (I've decided to give up on my current read; life's too short for books that suck) and went outside to wait for the bus. At first I thought it a little odd that the bus stop was empty - there's usually at least one or two people waiting for the 7am bus - but I figured I must have just missed it and the next one would be along in 10 minutes. I sat down on the bench and before I'd even got a sentence into my new book I heard someone honking their horn. When I looked up I saw the driver rolling down his window as if to talk to me and figured he just wanted directions. Boy, was I surprised when he informed me that the TTC was on strike as of this morning and the bus wouldn't be running today! How the hell was I supposed to get to work?!

Luckily for me, it seems that work is closed today, like many of the city's schools I would imagine. I've called three times and got no answer, so I figured it was safe to change into jeans and a t-shirt. I wish I was the kind of person who could just crawl into bed and get back to sleep at this point, but I've been awake for too long and there's too much light seeping through the window blinds.

Right now things are fine. Nyron will probably still have to work today, since retail stores tend to stay open on days like this just in case some locals want to buy anything, but at least I'll get to see him this morning. I, however, worry about how long this strike will go on. Schools can't stay open with only a handful of students and staff. For everyday this strike goes on it's another day of classes the student's miss. Some of the students are only here for a few weeks and every class really counts. Once they've reached their last day they go home, whether they've been able to attend every class or not.

o( )__

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home